Imagine a secret society, code name “Avatar-2154,” based on the date of the “War of 2154” between the Sec-Ops armies from Earth, funded by the Resources Development Corporation (RDA), against the Na’vi indigenous tribes on the Pandora moon. The war is over mining rights to Pandora’s unobtanium, a powerful new energy source needed back on “Eaarth,” to save our planet, where rapid population growth is exhausting limited natural resources, resulting in a dying civilization. Obviously this is a metaphor for today’s global threats.
The goals of “Avatar-2154:” Maximum security and wealth preservation for future generations of members from the elite of Wall Street, Washington, Corporate America CEOs, the Forbes-400. “Avatar-2154” secretly supports climate-change-deniers in think tanks, academic research and politicians who negate the impact of scientific facts. This effort is necessary when high-profile voices like Al Gore and Bill McKibben surface and new propaganda is required to attack their efforts stirring global climate initiatives.
For example, Bill McKibben, an environmental economist, recently published Eaarth: Making a Life on a Tough New Planet. Tough? Worse. Earth is dead. And McKibben’s vision for the new “Eaarth” we created is bleak. No upbeat high-tech hope for a “green revolution” as in Tom Friedman’s Hot, Flat & Crowded. Remember, two decades ago McKibben’s The End of Nature was one of the first books warning of global warming, climate change, a dying planet. His new “Eaarth” a funeral dirge. In Foreign Policy magazine last year, McKibben summarized his relentless message:
“Act now, we’re told, if we want to save the planet from a climate catastrophe. Trouble is, it might be too late. The science is settled, and the damage has already begun. The only question now is whether we will stop playing political games and embrace the few imperfect options we have left.” Stop the the political games? Never. Remember Kyoto and Copenhagen defeats? Recent coal mine disasters? The BP-Gulf oil catastrophe? And when the long-awaited 1,000-page Kerry-Leiberman Climate Bill finally surfaced last week, it was quickly blasted as “DOA,” a “gift to polluters.” Politicians love games.
In the end, “Eaarth itself will force us to bend to new rules”
The truth is, politicians will never stop in time. Consequently, “Avatar-2154” members need to be fully aware that “we have waited too long,” the planet really is dying, “Eaarth” is on an irreversible self-destruct path. Washington will not “stop playing political games.” They cannot: There are too many “special interests” fighting for their “fair” share of the federal government’s $1.7 trillion budget jackpot … too many stockholders in publicly-traded corporations demanding bull market returns and perpetual economic growth … and too many lobbyists who make enormous short-term payoffs by ignoring the long-term warnings of McKibben, Gore and others in the new “Green Revolution.”
After quoting a 2003 Pentagon report—“as the planet’s carrying capacity shrinks, an ancient pattern of desperate, all-out wars over food, water, and energy supplies would emerge”—McKibben offers three sane solutions: Cut carbon emissions, reduce our obsession with economic “growth,” and return to sustainable local farming. But while agreeing in his New York Times review, even advocate Paul Greenberg sees little chance of McKibben’s ideas changing opinions or reversing the destiny of “Eaarth:”
”In the absence of some overarching authority, a kind of ecologically minded Lenin,” McKibben’s solutions “will remain hipster lifestyle choices rather than global game changers.” But eventually, says Greenberg, “Eaarth itself will be that ecological Lenin, a harsh environmental dictator that will force us to bend to new rules.” Get it? If politicians won’t act till it’s too late, “Eaarth itself will be that ecological Lenin, a harsh environmental dictator that will force us to bend to new rules.” Yes, the “new rules” will be forced on self-interested politicians … forced on Wall Street’s bonus-obsessed CEOs and short-term high-frequency traders … forced on Main Street’s 95 million investors. An angry “Eaarth” will dictate harsh “new rules.” Everyone will be “forced to bend to the Eaarth’s new rules” imposed on us after the world’s exploding populations fight many tragic wars over ever-scarcer natural resources.
12 sectors: investment opportunities before the “Collapse of Eaarth”
Today “Eaarth” has 6.5 billion people. By 2050 the UN estimates growth to 9.1 billion. America’s 400 million will be competing for depleting resources. “They” already outnumber “us.” Odds are 22:1. Tough odds. Population growth is now the “mother of all bubbles,” more dangerous than global warming, poverty, even peak oil. Population growth will trigger multiple catastrophes beyond anything in world history. Here’s why.
Remember anthropologist Jared Diamond’s warning in Collapse: “One of the disturbing facts of history is that so many civilizations collapse.” Many “civilizations share a sharp curve of decline … a society’s demise may begin only a decade or two after it reaches its peak population, wealth and power.” Diamond’s 12-part endgame equation is very simple, fitting perfectly with the Pentagon’s global warfare scenario: “More people require more food, space, water, energy, and other resources.” But remember, of the 12 elements in this “Formula for Collapse,” population commands the two biggest triggers in the endgame. Data is from Diamond, McKibben and other sources:
1. Population Growth: “Third Rail” of politicians and economists. Scientific American calls population “the most overlooked and essential strategy for achieving long-term balance with the environment,” the new “third-rail” for politicians. So they ignore it. Warning: If all nations consumed resources at the same rate as America, the world’s 6.3 billion people would need 6 Earths to survive, now! Get it? The “American Dream” has become a self-destructive global circular-firing-squad nightmare.
2. Population impact and the new “American Dream.” Diamond warns: Optimists “argue that the world could support double its human population.” But they “consider only the increase in human numbers and not average increase in per-capita impact.” Developed countries “consume 32 times more resources … and put out 32 times more waste, than do the inhabitants of the Third World.” A race is on: “Low impact people are becoming high-impact people” aspiring “to First World living standards.” So check out Diamond’s 10 resources variables driving Diamond’s “Collapse of Eaarth and End of Civilization” equation … the final stage for humans, after McKibben’s local subsistence farming solution fails:
3. Peak Oil. Coal and gas next. Pimco’s Bill Gross sees a “significant break” in the world’s “growth pattern.” His new strategy looks beyond today’s “peak oil” tipping point: “Corporate profits will be static.” Consumer spending will decline. Economies will naturally grow slower. Foreign Policy Journal warns of the “7 Myths About Alternative Energy:” Biofuels, wind, solar and nuclear will never be enough. Never.
4. Food/Poverty Crisis. In “The End of Plenty” National Geographic warns that even this the new “green revolution” global poverty is increasing. The UN calls the global food crisis a “silent tsunami.” Prices rise making it worse for the 2.7 billion living in poverty on two bucks a day. A joint World Bank/UN study “concluded that the immense production increases brought about by science and technology the past 30 years have failed to improve food access for many of the world’s poor.” Failed.
5. Water wars. Diamond warns: “Water problems destroyed many earlier civilizations, and today “over a billion people lack access to reliable safe drinking water.” A British Minister predicts that by 2015 two-thirds of the world will live in water-stressed countries. Yes, increasingly resource wars will define human life on “Eaarth.”
6. Farmland erosion. Crop soils are “being carried away by water and wind erosion at rates between 10 to 40 times the rates of soil formation,” much higher in forests where soil-erosion rate is “between 500 and 10,000 times” replacement rate.
7. Forests destroyed: We are destroying natural habitats and rain forests at an alarming rate. Half the world’s original forests have been converted to urban developments. Another quarter will be converted in the next fifty years. Both China and India are planning 500 new cities. Plus, expect a new age of 100,000-acre mega-fires.
8. Chemical toxity. Industries “release into the air, soil, oceans, lakes, and rivers many toxic chemicals,” an endless flood of pesticides, insecticides, detergents, plastics.
9. Solar over-heating. Diamond warns we’re using “half of the Earth’s photosynthetic capacity,” will max-out by 2050. In “Plundering the Amazon,” Bloomberg warns that big firms like Alcoa and Cargill “have bypassed laws designed to prevent destruction of the world’s largest rain forest … robbing the earth of its best shield against global warming.”
10. Ozone layer lost. “Human activities produce gases that escape into the atmosphere,” destroying our protective ozone layer, along with thawing Artic methane.
11. Diversity disappearing. “Wild species, populations and genetic diversity has been lost” and “a large percent of the rest will disappear in half century” is a fight for survival
12. Alien species. Globalization has transferred many species to non-native lands with unintended consequences, “preying on, parasitizing, infecting or out-competing” natives.
Yes, we have many choices ahead, as Diamond says in Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed. These 12 triggers are interconnected, self-destructive and inevitable. And since human behavior and political games will never change soon enough, and since the efforts of dedicated environmentalists like McKibben and Gore will ultimately prove to be ineffectual stopgap measures that at best delay the inevitable, the conclusion is now obvious, the “Collapse of Eaarth” is guaranteed. That’s the core message for members of “Avatar-2154:” No one can save Eaarth or human civilization.
Therefore: “Avatar-2154” members can prepare for the endgame, protecting your family and heirs in two ways. Short-term: Keep amassing your fortune, investing in companies that take advantage of profit-making opportunities in Diamond’s 12 sectors, while enjoying the “good life,” living in the “Eternal Now,” as practiced by the great Taoist and Zen-masters. Long-term: Make sure you have an isolated, secure, self-sustaining farm where you and your loved ones can make peace with the Eaarth’s final destiny. Namaste.
Original MarketWatch: 5.18.10